One Little Word for 2012

The one little word that I have chosen to live by is... Authenticity.

To live the year being authentic. Being me. Being the person that I know I should be each and everyday even when it is not easy (or popular).

"Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Christopher Robin to Winnie-the-Pooh



Wednesday, April 6, 2011

WildthornWildthorn by Jane Eagland

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I have always been interested in Victorian literature and the Victorian era. This novel, set during that time is the story of a young girl whose dream it is to be a doctor. But, the times in which she lives dictates that "proper" lifestyle for a female - a doting mother, a loving wife - not an educated woman with a mind of her own.

So, what happens to the main character is that her outspoken nature has aroused the anger of her uncle and her cousin's future husband who arrange for her to be moved into an asylum without the knowledge of her mother. Part of the novel is her recounting her life with her family and then her time in the mental institution.

What was disturbing was the practices within the institution that are referenced in the novel were accepted forms of dealing with the mentally impaired. Shocking!

A story of freedom, free will, and alternative lifestyles during a time of constricted social mobility for women.



View all my reviews

No comments: