One Little Word for 2012

The one little word that I have chosen to live by is... Authenticity.

To live the year being authentic. Being me. Being the person that I know I should be each and everyday even when it is not easy (or popular).

"Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Christopher Robin to Winnie-the-Pooh



Thursday, April 7, 2011

White Cat (Curse Workers, #1)White Cat by Holly Black

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It took me about 80+ pages to really begin to enjoy this book. The premise of the book is that 1% of Americans are "workers" meaning they can perform some kind of magic when they touch you with their hands. They can make you sleepwalk, forget things, fall in love. The most dangerous workers can kill you with a touch or transform you into another being or object.

The plot revolves around a family of workers with Cassel being the youngest of three brothers. The father is dead and the mother is in jail. The family works for a crime family, as most "workers" do so that their skills can be used for criminal activities. Cassel however is the only member of his family without the gift and he, to make up for it, runs a bookie business from his dorm room at his private school.

As the story progresses the intricate pattern of relationships evolves and the reader realizes that the manipulation of circumstances runs deep and maybe being loyal to family is not all of the characters main concern.



View all my reviews

No comments: