One Little Word for 2012

The one little word that I have chosen to live by is... Authenticity.

To live the year being authentic. Being me. Being the person that I know I should be each and everyday even when it is not easy (or popular).

"Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Christopher Robin to Winnie-the-Pooh



Tuesday, December 14, 2010

ResilienceResilience by Elizabeth Edwards

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


With the recent passing of Elizabeth Edwards I decided to read her book RESILIENCE and learn more about how this woman was able to overcome so much - the loss of her 16 year-old son, the disintegration of her marriage, and the battle for her life (twice).

What came across in the book to me is simply a woman's life that was filled with pain. A life that did not turn out the way she had hoped. With each new adversity, she fell, hit bottom and then dug her way back up.

Her grief at the loss of her son was all consuming. All encompassing. As Americans, there are times when we have such romanticized notions of the "rich and famous". She disproves many of those notions.

She states on page 92 "Grief is a long process of untangling ourselves from the physical reality of the person and from our expectations of a future with them." How very true.



View all my reviews

No comments: