One Little Word for 2012

The one little word that I have chosen to live by is... Authenticity.

To live the year being authentic. Being me. Being the person that I know I should be each and everyday even when it is not easy (or popular).

"Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Christopher Robin to Winnie-the-Pooh



Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Lesson Before DyingA Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


A thoughtful and provocative read. The human condition and how we are able to learn from others - learning from those whom we did not even know had a lesson to teach us.

It is the story of Grant, whose aunt has asked him to visit his cousin in jail who is waiting for the electric chair. During the court proceedings, her son, Jefferson, was referred to as a "hog" and she wants to ensure that he knows he is a man. To die like a man.

Grant states "I still don't even know if the sheriff will even let me visit him. And suppose he did: what then? What do I say to him? Do I know what a man is? Do I know how a man is supposed to die? I'm still trying to find out how a man should live. Am I supposed to tell someone how to die who has never lived?"

And then..."Suppose I was allowed to visit him, and suppose I reached him and made him realize that he was as much a man as any other many; then what? He's still going to die. The next day, the next week, the next month. So what will I have accomplished? What will I have done? Why not let the hog die without knowing anything?" (p. 31)

Throughout the story, Grant does learn to live and he comes to a deeper appreciation of himself just as Jefferson looses all.

A wonderful novel. Very deep and will require another reading, on another day.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Amy L V said...

Thank you for the reminder to read this book again. When Ernest J. Gaines spoke in Buffalo years ago, I remember his voice on the radio saying that there are three good ways to become a better writer: read, read, and read.
A.