One Little Word for 2012

The one little word that I have chosen to live by is... Authenticity.

To live the year being authentic. Being me. Being the person that I know I should be each and everyday even when it is not easy (or popular).

"Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Christopher Robin to Winnie-the-Pooh



Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Top Ten Books of 2011 - Top Ten Tuesday



This week's topic - Top Ten Books of 2011
I must start by saying that I am listing the top ten reads for me this year which are not necessarily books that were published in 2011. Although I do enjoy reading new YA fiction to share with my students, I also enjoy reading classics and other genres, particularly books that I have not read as an English literature major and as a high school English Teacher.

Here is my list - in no particular order... taken from my goodreads.com account since I have tracked my reading this year on that website, all 112 books that I have read.

Virginia Woolf - TO THE LIGHTHOUSE. I had to read this for a graduate class I was taking and I loved it. It was the only Modern Novel we read during the course of the semester that I truly enjoyed.

Hillary Jordan - WHEN SHE WOKE. Science Fiction is not usually my genre of choice, but this modernistic rendition of THE SCARLET LETTER was engaging and compelling throughout.

Aimee Bender - THE PARTICULAR SADNESS OF LEMON CAKE. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this story. To be able to taste feelings, an extraordinary and yet terrible gift all in one.

Greg Donaldson - ZEBRATOWN. A nonfiction book about the town where my family lives. I kept waiting to read my husband's name, but thankfully he was omitted.

Carmen Deedy - 14 Cows for America. I do not normally read picture books, but picked this one up at the local public library and read it to my sophomore classes on September 11th anniversary. I wanted them to think about how the actions of one man from a small African village could impact others.

Tatiana de Rosnay Sarah's Key. This book was one of those reads that I loved and hated at the same time. Many times when I read a book about a historical time period where atrocities are detailed, I become very depressed and think of what should have been done to stop the bloodshed and the horror. I loved the story about Sarah. The modern story that was mixed in I could have done without.

P.C. Cast The House of Night Series. My son told me that if I was going to waste my time reading vampire stories I should at least read quality like Ann Rice, but I was so enthralled with these stories and I do not even know why. I try to avoid teenage romance novels, but these had me from the start. I read the first six and then took a break. Looking to read the remaining three this year.

Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit 451. What a wonderful read. Even though the novel is short, it is packed full. I am sure that I will have to read this one many more times to truly grasp all it has to offer.

Kelly Gallagher Readicide. As an educator, I strive to continually expand my knowledge to be a better teacher. This book is a must read for any teacher looking to make a difference in reading experiences for students.

Eleanor Brown The Weird Sisters. A story of three sisters who learn what is most valuable. A great story. Although even after I have read it and discussed with my friends, I still cannot figure out who the narrator is. Anyone figure it out, let me know.

1 comment:

LBC said...

Great variety in your list. Fahrenheit 451 was one of my favorite reads as a young person. I also love Woolf, but don't have many memories of To The Lighthouse, so it is probably due for a reread.