One Little Word for 2012

The one little word that I have chosen to live by is... Authenticity.

To live the year being authentic. Being me. Being the person that I know I should be each and everyday even when it is not easy (or popular).

"Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Christopher Robin to Winnie-the-Pooh



Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Snowball Effect by Holly Nicole Hoxter

The Snowball EffectThe Snowball Effect by Holly Nicole Hoxter
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

"The grass is not always greener on the other side" would the the clique to describe this book by Holly Nicole Hoxter. The main character, Lainey Pike has suffered a great loss when her mother dies and instead of relying on her support network to ease her feelings of abandonment and disillusionment, she shuns those who would offer her support. As a grown up who experienced the loss of a parent at the age of 12, I personally understand what one experiences when a parent is lost. The plot structure and character development in this novel did not realistically showcase that experience.

At times the characters exasperated me as the reader with their selfishness and lack of genuine self-worth. The passing of responsibility to others simply provided validity to adults comprehension of adolescent perceived behaviors.

There were points within the plot which were poignant and brought the characters to life, but these instances were too far and few between for a 350+ page book.


View all my reviews

No comments: