One Little Word for 2012

The one little word that I have chosen to live by is... Authenticity.

To live the year being authentic. Being me. Being the person that I know I should be each and everyday even when it is not easy (or popular).

"Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Christopher Robin to Winnie-the-Pooh



Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Life of One's Own

A Life of One's OwnA Life of One's Own by Marion Milner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The journey of self-discovery is exactly that = SELF. One cannot simply take the words, actions and knowledge from another and transfer it to one' own life. The journey must be internalized and personalized. Just as with reading literature, we all take from it our own perceptions (good or bad) and weave the piece of literature into our own lives.

With that being said...

High expectations often lead to a disappointment. That is how I felt about reading this book. It may in fact have been a direct result of my own state of mind during reading. There are times when one must be in a certain state of mind to fully grasp and appreciate the depth and quality of an author's words. This was not the time in my life to read this book and appreciate its beauty.

That being said, there were a few key passages in the beginning that truly resonated with me.

p. 25 "...for although I knew there were plenty who wanted to tell me I should direct my life I could not be sure that what might be right for them would also be right for me."

p. 30 "What helped me most was the gradually growing conviction that silence might be the privilege of the strong but it was certainly a danger to the weak."

The reader must take from this writing what can be incorporated into their own lives and leave the rest.


View all my reviews

No comments: