One Little Word for 2012

The one little word that I have chosen to live by is... Authenticity.

To live the year being authentic. Being me. Being the person that I know I should be each and everyday even when it is not easy (or popular).

"Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Christopher Robin to Winnie-the-Pooh



Saturday, January 8, 2011

SpeakSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I finished this book - my second time reading it in the past year. I felt it was necessary to reread before I begin presenting it to my 10th grade class when the new semester starts at my high school at the beginning of February.

This time, I really paid attention to the connections she (meaning the main character) made to others... focusing on the different definitions that characters in the novel had regarding friendship. I think this can be a powerful force for discussions in the classroom - What makes a friend a friend? What do you look for in friendships? How many times are we friends with someone because of what we can give to them as opposed to what they can provide for us? (Social status, etc)

Looking forward to reading with students - and hoping that someday I can be the teacher that they feel comfortable enough to share what is bothering them - like her art teacher. I want my classroom to be a safe place where you are able to express your opinion freely and openly.



View all my reviews

No comments: