One Little Word for 2012

The one little word that I have chosen to live by is... Authenticity.

To live the year being authentic. Being me. Being the person that I know I should be each and everyday even when it is not easy (or popular).

"Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Christopher Robin to Winnie-the-Pooh



Sunday, March 9, 2014

Boys Like You

Boys Like YouBoys Like You by Juliana Stone
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Every teenager experiences choices with impacts which reach far beyond themselves. Juliana Stone's novel BOYS LIKE YOU compels the reader to understand the choices made by Monroe and Nathan, not just on the surface, but the deep, lasting effects their decisions had on their friends and families.

What is more important, to me as the reader, is the connection to the old saying "It takes a village to raise a child." Both Monroe and Nathan have experienced life altering events which are tearing them about physically and emotionally. It is through accepting each other, learning to open up and forgive that we are able to watch the characters as they grow into themselves and become individuals who are stronger because of their experiences, not defined by them.

It is imperative that a Young Adult novel reach young readers with a story which is both believable and relateable.  From the very first pages, the reader experiences compassion and empathy for the characters as they traverse the lonely world their decisions have created.


View all my reviews

No comments: